From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: TomWij@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] eselect init
Date: Sun, 26 May 2013 10:57:59
1 On Sun, 26 May 2013 11:45:38 +0200
2 Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Sun, 26 May 2013 11:20:25 +0200
5 > Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
6 >
7 > > It is *easy*.
8 > >
9 > > ln -s /sbin/newinit /sbin/init.new
10 > > mv /sbin/init.new /sbin/init
11 > >
12 > > Easy and atomic. The inconsistency potential is similar to one given
13 > > by init upgrades. Yet we don't do anything magical to defer init
14 > > upgrade until reboot, and that's why the upgrades go smoothly.
15 >
16 > Easy isn't always good. It's not atomic since you can't reboot and
17 > because of that I wouldn't call it smooth either.
18
19 Can't you? How come?
20
21 > > > I think that safest way not using wrapper is to stop all services
22 > > > and keep only mounted /, than change things (symlinks,configuration
23 > > > update) and reboot.
24 > >
25 > > This can be done two ways.
26 > >
27 > > One is hacking into init (RC) reboot procedure. It's fragile, it needs
28 > > to be fit into the right moment and I'm not sure if all inits will
29 > > handle this without actually needing to patch the code. And in the
30 > > end, the init gets replaced before init stops working anyway.
31 >
32 > You're making things way more complex than a wrapper would do. I'm not
33 > a fan of using the words "hacking", "fragile" and "not sure" for
34 > selling an approach; so, why were you suggesting the symlink approach?
35
36 Don't mix the two mails. I am showing how fragile the solution
37 suggested by Robert is. While you seem to be replying to every mail
38 possible to repeatedly advocate your idea.
41 Best regards,
42 Michał Górny