From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Sandboxes
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 13:44:07
1 On Thu, 2006-03-23 at 18:45 -0500, Alec Warner wrote:
2 > PROPOSAL:
3 >
4 > a) overlays.gentoo.org -> A sub-domain for hosting overlays or
5 > 'development sandboxes'. Developers want an area for sandboxed
6 > development of packages outside of the main tree. As stated in the
8 > changelogs, etc..). These sandboxed areas also allow non-developers to
9 > contribute to projects in a useful manner.
10 >
11 > b) overlays.gentoo.org -> Is not meant for public consumption by users.
12 > overlays.gentoo.org is merely a development aid and not meant for
13 > public consumption. Users tend to not know how overlays are
14 > implemented. Multiple activated overlays also can cause hard to debug
15 > issues as overlays over-ride ebuilds and eclass in each other and the
16 > tree itself.
17 >
18 > c) Overlays may be secured on an per-overlay basis to prevent normal
19 > users from both reading and writing to the overlay. For example a
20 > project may wish to have an overlay and invite two or three
21 > non-developers to contribute. This makes creating small development
22 > units easy, while keeping QA the main tree relatively high.
23 >
24 > This is what I see, and this is kinda what I would want. As an overlay
25 > "creator" I should be able to add/remove accounts from my own overlay (
26 > to reduce the load on the overlay project/infra ). In essence, creating
27 > a bunch of small communities for development.
28 >
29 > Thoughts on ideas on this somewhat more focussed idea? ( or at least I
30 > think it's more focused :P )
31
32 OK.
33
34 I have an idea for a compromise, then.
35
36 An overlay, when created is not readable by anyone without an account.
37 The new overlay is governed by whatever rules that the overlay owners
38 wish to use. However, before an overlay can be opened up for public RO
39 access, one simple rule must be followed: It must not break the normal
40 tree through its use. What this means is if you've got some whiz-bang
41 version of foo out that that requires changes to bar.eclass, then
42 bar.eclass (in your overlay) needs to remain backwards compatible with
43 what is in the tree insofar as it does not break non-overlay ebuilds
44 through its use.
45
46 With this *single* policy, we manage to reduce the problems that have
47 been brought up in the other threads.
50 Chris Gianelloni
51 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
52 x86 Architecture Team
53 Games - Developer