From: Jean-Michel Smith <jsmith@××××.com>
To: "Harding, Tyson" <tharding@××××.com>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] livecd 1.4
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 09:34:44
1 On Wednesday 30 October 2002 05:19 pm, Harding, Tyson wrote:
2 > I have the livecd version 1.4, and it does not have any of the PCMCIA
3 > support on the CD. According to the install instructions it does, but the
4 > actual CD does not. Is there a way of getting around this and still
5 > installing version 1.4?
6
7 The live-cd kind of sucks for installing (it's great if your hardware happens
8 to be supported and you want to fire up a system quickly). It is missing all
9 kinds of network drivers, has others compiled in monolithically (rather than
10 as a module), which results in some hardware not being detected properly (and
11 gives you no ability to unload and reload the module again if something goes
12 awry ... you are forced to reboot instead and hope for the best), and is
13 missing a bunch of cool RAID stuff (you can't install Gentoo if it can't see
14 your hard drive)
15
16 IMHO the Gentoo 1.2 Cd is much better (and hopefully there will be a Gentoo
17 1.4 CD which is basically an updated 1.2 CD), and at around 16 MB it is an
18 easy download. It recognizes and is compatible with far more hardware than
19 the 1.4 live CD.
20
21 Basically, when setting up a brand new Gentoo 1.4 system I boot the Gentoo 1.2
22 installation CD, create the chrooted environment, but wget or scp the Gentoo
23 1.4 stage-1 tarball and untar it into /mnt/gentoo instead of untarring the
24 Gentoo 1.2 stage-1 tarball already on the 1.2 cd.
25
26 This gives me a 1.4 install environment within the chrooted session, and from
27 there it is a straightforward install, per the installation docs.
28
29 hope this helps,
30
31 Jean.