From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Reverse use of Python/Ruby versions
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2017 20:51:27
1 On pon, 2017-04-10 at 16:40 -0400, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
2 > On Tue, 11 Apr 2017 03:29:25 +0700
3 > "Vadim A. Misbakh-Soloviov" <gentoo@×××.name> wrote:
4 >
5 > > Am I right in assumption that you arguing about *_TARGETS rework to
6 > > be enabled by default for packages that was not tested on this
7 > > TARGETs with ... hardness of packaging java software?..
8 >
9 > I think TARGETS should not exist. They do not for Java, Perl, or PHP.
10
11 I'm sorry but do you even use Gentoo, these days? Like the real Gentoo,
12 not just some little part you've installed years ago and then modified
13 only Java stuff in it?
14
15 Perl does not use TARGETS. It uses subslots, after it used horrible
16 custom rebuild tool. The latter brought many bug reports of users being
17 hit by random breakage on upgrades, the former just brings *tons* of
18 problems with Portage not being able to deal with Perl upgrades.
19
20 PHP *uses* PHP_TARGETS.
21
22 Python used not to use TARGETS. The results were random
23 incompatibilities between packages that were hard to track and random
24 breakage. Now we're past that. But I can understand it's not the Gentoo
25 of your times where user was expected to watch his every step to have
26 his system boot again.
29 Best regards,
30 Michał Górny