From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] emerge -C eselect-python disaster
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 04:04:36
Jacob Godserv wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 19:02, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote: > >> Since unmerging python results in a broken system, I'm not sure how this >> "pollutes" anything. The system set is to maintain a working and bootable >> system that can install packages and portage requires python to work. What >> good is a Gentoo system without a working package manager? >> > > There are two issues here: > > * Avoiding hacks for deciding which packages are needed for system > * Helping users avoid the dangerous mistake of crippling the package manager. > > Here's how I see this break down. To avoid crippling the package > manager, the user must be warned of an action that will cripple the > package manager. If removing python cripples the package manager, then > warn the user. It's quite simple. Adding python to the system set is > messy, as pointed out, but somehow there must be a way to determine > that python is needed by the package manager. > > The last remaining option (without adding any new features) is to > track on which packages are required by the system set and warning > about removing any packages required by any package in the system set. > This seems like a good solution. > > > I could also argue that using "emerge -C" period is dangerous, as some > here have mentioned. As far as I can tell, the best way to remove a > package is to edit the package out of /var/lib/portage/world file and > then letting portage safely remove packages via "--depclean". (This is > outside the current topic, of course, so if anyone wants to seriously > propose this it should be re-posted under a new subject heading.) > >
Well put. I would agree that a simple warning should be given before removing a system package or a package that system must have, especially portage. Maybe what portage needs is a reverse -n feature. Instead of adding something to the world file, it removes a unwanted package from the world file and then the user could use --depclean to remove that package and its no longer needed friends. I assume this is doable. Dale :-) :-)