From: Ed Grimm <paranoid@××××××××××××××××××××××.org>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 30: "Planet Gentoo" web log aggregator
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 02:11:01
1 On Tue, 26 Oct 2004, Daniel Drake wrote:
2
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > I've written a GLEP for the "Planet Gentoo" website idea that has cropped up a
6 > few times in the past.
7 >
8 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0030.html
9 >
10 > Please post feedback here. I'm hoping to submit this for approval soon.
11
12 Please pardon my ignorance - what benefit does the aggregator provide,
13 over a link list to the developers' blogs?
14
15 Note that this concept could be expanded to have links to multiple
16 locations for each developer, so one could also collect their commits
17 information, as well as list a personal blog in addition to their
18 development blog. To make some sanity out of the chaos that the logical
19 extreme would provide, one could have a separate page to hold the links
20 for each dev.
21
22 The advantage of the above solution is, of course, infrastructure relief
23 as well as complexity reduction. It would also give people an easy way
24 to see which blog sites the various devs feel do a good job, which would
25 answer the question of 'where do I go to get a blog?'.
26
27 I understand that it would give each of the devs control over their blog
28 appearance, instead of having a global look across all the aggregated
29 blogs. I think such a global look is overrated.
30
31 I understand that the aggregate view would not be subject to downtime on
32 individual devs' blogs when their blog site went down. I'm not aware of
33 any blogs having a significant read stability problem, although I could
34 be out of touch here. I would think, however, that any dev that used an
35 unstable blog would have motivation to move.
36
37 Ed
40 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list