From: Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] why is the security team running around p.masking packages
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2016 08:50:22
1 On 07/06/2016 10:37 AM, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
2 >> > If council approval of special projects as lead is an important factor,
3 >> > maybe we should rather also approve security leads?
4 >> >
5 > Approving a security lead is not sufficient. QA is governed by GLEP 48.
6 > The very procedure of producing a glep means scrutiny by the community
7 > as to its scope, mandate, procedure and powers. By the security team
8 > simply thinking it has the powers to p.mask and bump packages, its is
9 > essentially circumventing Gentoo governance. If it needs these powers,
10 > it should go through QA.
11
12 I'm not aware of any security policy that indicates bumping packages as
13 being a role for security (it really is up to maintainer), but it is an
14 interesting point for p.mask that is part of the written policies of the
15 project.
16
17 A GLEP for the security project would make a great deal of sense in
18 general and is on overtime. I will stop the discussion of any specifics
19 on that at this point though, as it hasn't been discussed within the
20 project which in any case is a natural first step to things.
23 Kristian Fiskerstrand
24 OpenPGP certificate reachable at hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net
25 fpr:94CB AFDD 3034 5109 5618 35AA 0B7F 8B60 E3ED FAE3