From: "Olivier Crête" <tester@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] separate debug information
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2004 13:42:35
1 On Fri, 2004-04-02 at 13:43, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > On Friday 02 April 2004 13:35, Olivier Crête wrote:
6 > > Hi,
7 > >
8 > > I actually have a patch (in bug #45756) that does the job.. But there
9 > > are two problems which have thus far prevented me from pushing more on
10 > > this, first I experience bizarre brokenness with gdb 6.x (#45756)..
11 > > And second, binutils<2.14.90.0.8 only copies the debug section, but
12 > > not the symbols into the debug file. So using the currently stable
13 > > binutils, we have to use strip -g (and it procudes empty .debug files
14 > > if -g is not in the cflags) so its not that useful without using the
15 > > ~arch binutils (and being able to fully strip the executables).
16 >
17 > I've got gdb-6, but have not actually used it. That it only works with
18 > testing for now is not a big problem for me.
19 >
20 > > Also, I'd like to try to see if we could have a features where the
21 > > sources are kept for reference like redhat/fedora does with its
22 > > -debuginfo rpms. I'll check how redhat does it and if we can do
23 > > something similar when I come back from my vacation...
24 >
25 > Basically it would require that the sources are not removed
26 > from /var/tmp/portage, and that users actually get read access to this
27 > directory.
28
29 Redhat does it more intelligently.. They have a little program called
30 debugedit (part of the rpm package) that pulls the list of the relevant
31 files and edits the debug info inside the elf files to point them to
32 /usr/src/debug/.. instead of to the build directory. That allows them
33 only keep the relevant sources and not all of the intermediary files.
34 Their little program only depends on popt and libelf, so I guess it
35 could be included in portage. I'll try to see if I can modify my patch
36 to use that. =20
37
38 While I'm at it.. redhat uses eu-strip (also included in binutils)
39 instead of objcopy/strip... using eu-strip would allow us to have it
40 working right now, but will break when it is removed from binutils..
43 Olivier Crête
44 tester@g.o
45 Gentoo Developer