From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] FHS or not (WAS: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2014-03-11)
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 15:59:56
2 Hash: SHA512
3
4 Samuli Suominen:
5 >
6 > On 28/02/14 13:15, Patrick Lauer wrote:
7 >> On 02/27/2014 09:08 PM, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
8 >>> Hi everyone,
9 >>>
10 >>> I'm putting the call out there for any agenda items for the
11 >>> next Council meeting, which will be held on March 11, 2014 at
12 >>> 1900 UTC. This is short notice but we got off track because of
13 >>> FOSDEM and we're going to try to get back on track.
14 >>>
15 >>> So far, the only item is final ratification of glep 63 [1].
16 >> Since it's still a bit cold I'd like to start a nice fire to warm
17 >> us up:
18 >>
19 >> I'd like QA and Council to figure out how much we care about
20 >> FHS.
21 >>
22 >> My main complaint is some projects (including e.g. systemd and
23 >> apparently now also udev) storing config files in /lib and/or
24 >> /usr/lib.
25 >>
26 >> From FHS' point of view this is totally wrong, config files go to
27 >> /etc Only libraries should be in /lib.
28 >
29 > Wow. What about libtool .la text files? What about kernel modules?
30 > What about the genereted modules.* data in /lib/modules/$version/
31 > which are used in early boot by eg. kmod-static-nodes? What about
32 > the binaries of OpenRC in /lib/rc, they aren't libraries? And what
33 > about vendor modprobe.d files in /lib/modprobe.d? I could continue
34 > this all day. I'm just trying to point out "Only libraries should
35 > be in /lib." is complete bs and does not work. Does FHS really
36 > articulate it the way you said it, "Only libraries should be in
37 > /lib." or was that your own interpretation of it?
38 >
39 > I'm not really expecting an answer as I'm already convinced FHS is
40 > so badly outdated it's sad it doesn't suit modern systems. I hope
41 > they will catch up at some point.
42 >
43 > - Samuli
46 In addition to the questions of Samuli...
47
48 What about python, perl, ruby and whatnot script languages.
49 What about haskell and pascal? Some of them files are reported to be
50 "data" files.
51 What about erlangs .erl and .hrl (text)?
52 What about mono/C# .exe and .dll (are they architecture-dependant or
53 can I treat them as "data files" and move them to "/usr/share/"?)
54 What about non-trivial packages like fpc, firefox, portage and
55 libreoffice that all violate FHS? Who will fix it and maintain that
56 stuff downstream?
57 What about /opt, we don't follow that either?
58
59 What about /usr/include and ".hpp" files (only C is valid according to
60 FHS)? Who will fix boost?
61
62 I skip the part of running some funny "find" commands on my local system.
63
64 Despite that... the answer is already here:
65 http://devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/filesystem/index.html
66
67 > Gentoo does not consider the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard to be an
68 > authoritative standard, although much of our policy coincides with
69 > it.
70
71 So this is not really something the council has to decide on, unless
72 you propose to change that policy altogether.