From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: "gentoo-dev@l.g.o" <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] games.eclass
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2015 15:25:10
1 On Saturday, August 22, 2015, hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
4 > Games differ in a lot of ways and they _require_ different policies. In
5 > some cases this also means more lax policies and in some cases more
6 > strict policies.
7 >
8 > An example is unbundling libraries. While unbundling libraries is often
9 > a good idea for regular well-maintained projects, it can often cause
10 > various problems for games:
11 > * games upstreams often modify 3rd party libraries
12 > * games upstreams often use libraries in very fishy ways, so you really
13 > need a very specific version
14 > * for proprietary games breakage often happens randomly at runtime
15 > * proprietary games may also break silently when library XY is bumped in
16 > the tree
19 While I get what you're saying, none of the specific issues you listed
20 are actually unique to games, especially FOSS games. These sorts of
21 issues tend to happen with lots of desktop/multimedia-oriented
22 applications. I do agree that they hit games pretty hard though and
23 games maintainers should have a forum for discussing them.
24
25 Where I think games tend to exacerbate this issue is that they're
26 often proprietary and non-free which makes detecting these issues
27 harder, and fixing them almost impossible for the library maintainers.
28 Also, they tend to not have equal FOSS substitutes. A proprietary
29 word processor will tend to not have much interest in Gentoo because
30 there are so many decent FOSS alternatives. Since games tend to be
31 more about the content then the engines, they tend to be expensive to
32 write FOSS replacements for, so people tend to use the proprietary
33 ones.
34
35 And that is why I think we have to be careful about just taking any
36 games issue and leaving it up to the games team. I think they can
37 take the lead on raising these issues, and when nobody else has a
38 solution to their problems they should certainly have a bias for
39 action in solving them on their own. However, when a problem does
40 have competing solutions across the tree or where there is value in
41 consistency we shouldn't just leave it up to the games team to do
42 whatever they want with the games. Do we really want a world where
43 multimedia applications go in /usr/multimedia/bin, toolchain goes in
44 /usr/toolchain/bin, science goes in /usr/science/bin, and so on? All
45 of those have projects, and all of them have unique concerns. That
46 doesn't make all of their concerns unique.
49 Rich