From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-dev-announce] EAPI 6 draft for review
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2015 08:00:34
1 On Tue, 20 Oct 2015 00:47:49 -0700
2 Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o> wrote:
3
5 > Hash: SHA256
6 >
7 > On 10/17/2015 05:52 AM, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
8 > >>>>>> On Sat, 17 Oct 2015, hasufell wrote:
9 > >
10 > >>> 2. eapply_user really belongs in the PM, especially if it's run
11 > >>> by default. And it needs patch applying function. And if we
12 > >>> have to implement patch applying function anyway, we may as
13 > >>> well make it public to avoid unnecessary duplication.
14 > >
15 > >> Unreliable. The ebuild may define its own src_prepare function
16 > >
17 > > That eapply_user is called can be enforced by repoman, or by a QA
18 > > warning.
19 > >
20 > >> or the PM might define eapply_user as a no-op, which is valid as
21 > >> per PMS.
22 > >
23 > > Sure, it is implementation defined. Otherwise PMS would have to
24 > > specify all the details, e.g. where does the package manager look
25 > > for user-supplied patches and how are patch directories organised.
26 > >
27 > > Ulrich
28 > >
29 > I'm not sure I follow. What's wrong with supporting env vars like
30 > EPATCH_PATH or EPATCH_DIRS, with whatever 'sane default' that the PM
31 > in question deems proper? Configuration would be simple and unify any
32 > manager that adheres to the spec. If it's implementation-defined, then
33 > each package manager would look in a possibly different directory. If
34 > we're outlining a spec, imo it would be best to at least establish a
35 > common directory so PM authors can rely on it confidently and help
36 > avoid user issues.
37 >
38 > If I'm missing some detail that doesn't make my idea any good, please
39 > tell me. It doesn't seem like trouble from where I'm looking.
42 I think the idea behind PMS is that the gentoo portage tree (or
43 ebuilds in general) obeys some rules so that ebuild behavior doesn't
44 depend on the portage version you're using and is the same with
45 alternative package managers.
46
47 I don't think its scope is to define a common way to configure package
48 managers. Not that the idea is bad, but it'd be better done by having
49 the three PM agree on some common ground here.