From: Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Last rites: app-cdr/sync2d
Date: Sat, 06 Jun 2020 07:04:03
1 Ühel kenal päeval, L, 06.06.2020 kell 03:59, kirjutas Ralph Seichter:
2 > * Christopher Head:
3 >
4 > > Not that I care about this specific case, but isn’t the 30-day time
5 > > period also meant as a nice long warning time for people [...]
6 >
7 > Rules and exceptions. I think that shortening the typical 30-day
8 > period
9 > is acceptable in specific cases, and sync2d is one of them. According
11 > Git history, the ebuild for release 1.3 (released 2007) was imported
12 > in
13 > August 2015 and no functional changes have been made since then.
14 > There
15 > were only meta data updates and stabilisations, and it all ended in
16 > 2017.
17 >
18 > sync2d is unmaintained in Gentoo and based on Python 2, which, as we
19 > know, was marked for "end of support 2015" which later was extended
21 > January 2020. Upstream had oodles of time to migrate to Python 3 if
22 > they
23 > wanted to. If (!) any Gentoo users are still using sync2d today, they
24 > also had ample time to choose an alternative. From all appearances,
25 > sync2d has gone the way of the dodo.
26 >
27 > Masking will not uninstall the package, and the sooner people can no
28 > longer install sync2d without thought, the better, as far as I am
29 > concerned.
30
31 Portage does not provide a good mechanism of warning users that some
32 package is going or already went away, other than the package.mask
33 entry triggering such a warning. So if it's removed quickly and p.mask
34 removed with that, users of said package will not be notified for a
35 reasonable amount of time to even notice that they have something
36 unmaintained installed.
37 Until that is working better, I find it good to have a package.mask
38 entry for 30 days or even longer. That does not mean the specific
39 package itself can't go away in 15 days - the package.mask entry could
40 be reworded and kept for a bit longer.
43 Mart