From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Portage Git migration - clean cut or git-cvsserver
Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 06:35:31
Dan Douglas posted on Thu, 24 May 2012 01:04:48 -0500 as excerpted:

> On Thursday, May 24, 2012 07:56:58 AM Michał Górny wrote: >> On Wed, 23 May 2012 16:14:53 -0500 >> >> Dan Douglas <ormaaj@×××××.com> wrote: >> > If not I will be leaving Gentoo for Funtoo in the near future, though >> > there are disadvantages to doing this I don't look forward to dealing >> > with. >> >> Most of us will probably be doing that :P. > > Eh sorry that wasn't meant to be antagonistic. I'll still have Gentoo > boxen to deal with. I just need to be able to use git on the tree (even > without the full history is perfectly fine) to ease the difficulty of > local overlay management. Glad to hear that will be possible, or at > least somewhat easier.
FWIW, I as a user would sure like a git-based tree. Doing git whatchanged searches on individual files and being able to track my last checkout and roll back to it, or to a point between it and current HEAD, are extremely useful. I haven't thought of it much until now, but I think maintaining overlays as simple branches would be great, as well. -- Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs. "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master -- and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman