From: Luis Francisco Araujo <araujo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Gentoo Graphical User Interfaces Project
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 23:04:55
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Jure Varlec wrote:
5 > > Hello,
6 > >
7 > > I hope this post gets through, I just switched to using gmane, so
8 I'm sorry
9 > > if it gets posted incorrectly.
10 > >
11 > > I take it you intend to use GTK. May I suggest you also provide ncurses
12
13 Yes, we expect to use mainly either Gtk+ or Qt; though any toolkit
14 easily available on Gentoo would work too.
15
16 > > interfaces to your programs? I'm not sure how much additional work that
17 > > would be, as I don't program UIs. But an additional ncurses
18 interface would
19 > > provide users with the comfort of having the same tools available in
20 case
21 > > their Xorg fails for some reason, and on their X-less servers.
24 This project is focused on 'Graphical Interfaces' (hence its name);
25 therefore that's our main priority. Though a ncurse alternative could be
26 nice for some users, that would imply take other roads that we are not
27 willing to take, at least not yet. It could be possible in the future to
28 re-use part of our work for ncurses and terminal based interfaces , but
29 as i said, it is not our priority.
30
31 > > Also, if a user modifies a tool-managed config file, the tool
32 shouldn't get
33 > > confused, and vice versa. I'm sure that goes without saying on
34 Gentoo, but
35 > > since I've only used GUI tools on Mandrake and Ubuntu and this is where
36 > > they often fail, I feel the need to mention it. For example, Ubuntu's
37 > > network config tool often didn't match what ifconfig said about the
38 > > interfaces' status; I don't want to know what would happen to it if
39 I used
40 > > ifconfig to actually change configuration.
43 Designing a GUI involves many layers , and therefore, many ways of
44 communicating these layers .. it might sound an easy work, but in
45 practice it's tough to do it right.
46
47 One of this project's goals is to do it right on Gentoo systems.
48
49 Thanks and Regards,
50 - --
51