From: Alexey Shvetsov <alexxy@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage Git migration - clean cut or git-cvsserver
Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 20:06:12
Arun Raghavan писал 2012-05-23 22:37:
> I, for one, think we should stay with CVS and leave all this git > Linusware to the new-fangled Fedora kids with their fancy init > systems > and tight coupling. CVS was good enough for my grandfather, and it's > good enough for you.
CVS is damn slow. On every cvs up it should stat *all* files and cvs entryes in current state its ~212k files in gentoo-x86. It will be sloow on every machine unless you put all this files in ram Actual number of usefull files is only about ~60k (ebuilds,eclasses,metadata.xml,patches) Its comparable to linux kernel git tree ~42k files And yes git is much more faster. PS if ibm s/360 was good for my grandfather why we all use modern intel pc? Lets stay under 1 MIPS machines like s/360 -- Best Regards, Alexey 'Alexxy' Shvetsov Petersburg Nuclear Physics Institute, NRC Kurchatov Institute, Gatchina, Russia Department of Molecular and Radiation Biophysics Gentoo Team Ru Gentoo Linux Dev mailto:alexxyum@×××××.com mailto:alexxy@g.o mailto:alexxy@×××××××××××××.ru