From: Patrick Lauer <gentoo@×××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Installer For Gentoo
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 17:29:03
1 On Wed, 2004-01-14 at 17:02, Stephen Clowater wrote:
2 <snip>
3 > There are two things I think need to be cleared up first.
4 >
5 > In order for gentoo to become a distro that can be used in corprate
6 > enviornments, it needs an installer that can do much of the
7 > configurations on it. For example, if I have a rendering farm of 1000
8 > sgi machines, and I want to install gentoo on all of them, under the
9 > conventional systme, that just isnt pratical.
10 you could always create one "default" disk image and clone it ...
11
12 > The end goal here is to have a
13 > graphical setup program (to aid newbie users, and keep corprate types
14 > happy) to, based on the existing hardware on a given machine, dynamicaly
15 > generate the most optimal settings and preform an install and some
16 > system configuration based on that.
17 >
18 GLIS + kudzu (hardware detection) + default metapackages
19
20 (e.g. "kde" , "development" , "webserver")
21 These metapackages could be empty ebuilds that depend on some default
22 packages.
23
24 > Moreover, a managment system based on the installer would really
25 > be all gentoo needs to be on the same page as main stream distros like
26 > redhat, in terms of how friendly it is to green users, and how friendly
27 > it is to corprat types.
28 Do we want that? I changed to gentoo because it is not user-friendly
29 like RedHat or SuSE. I don't see why gentoo should be dumbed down, but
30 if you want an installer, feel free to create one. It's all about choice
31 :-)
32
33 > Secondly, it _is_ a bit of a pian to not have a
34 > wizard I can simply point and click thru.
35 How often do you install?
36 And doesn't GLIS do most of the configuration?
37 (I haven't used it, so I don't have an opinion)
38
39 > I've had several freeBSD devs
40 > ask me when gentoo was going to get an installer, and I've heard alot of
41 > very knowledgeable linux users state that gentoo reall does need a
42 > install wizard of some sort.
43 I've heard many knowledgable linux users state that they learned a lot
44 about while installing gentoo.
45
46 I'm not oposed to an installer per se, but I don't want a default
47 install forced upon me.
50 > for USE, you can make a list that includes of any package selected by
51 > the user, that has a corrisponding entry in use.desc in
52 > /usr/portage/profiles
53 >
54 > after this we just make sure in the package list, the user chooses a
55 > cron dameon, and system logger, and add a few very common things (like
56 > netkit-telnetd) which can be checked as default
57 sounds ok.
58
59 > then after this its just the execution of the bootstrapping, the merge
60 > of system, then a merge of all the packages they have selected. The
61 > make.conf and use flags have already been set to optimal values, and
62 > compiled with the most appropriate cflags. hence giveing optimal
63 > preformance. Portage takes care of the rest.
64 But shouldn't we give a default binary install?
65 Most users don't want to wait while the system compiles and compiles ...
66
67 > The only other thing that we come to that we should find a good way to
68 > do is kernel configuration. I konw we can simply compile everything as
69 > modules by default, and let the the system load them on an as-needed
70 > basis. However, I am wondering if there is a particular pattern of
71 > regexs that can be used on /proc/pci to determine installed hardware? I
72 > know we can ascertain ide or scsi by looking at /proc/partions.
73 kernel config = genkernel?
74
75 > So in summery, using glis as our backend, we really only need to
78 > Drop this into a pretty gui, and gentoo has an installer. Which most
79 > people seem to agree would be a good thing (most recently, the mention
80 > of it in linuxjournal)
81 but then you need an ncurses based gui and a "graphical" (nice) installer
82 That might be a lot of work.
83
84 > Thre only remains two questions for me (in addition to the kernel
85 > quesiton) is (1) what is the lightest way to do this that will still
86 > yeild a pretty GUI (2) I know how to generate a make.conf on a x86, but
87 > how to do it on such arcs as sparc, hppa, and others?
88 pretty gui = Tk on XFree86?
89 Qt based?
90 etc. etc.
91
92 There are many options, and it will enlarge the install CD even more.
93
94 What I would prefer to an installer is a unified interface for all
95 configuration utilities (gcc-config, java-config, portage, ...)
96 and maybe some "simple" tools for webserver vhosting, network config
97 etc.
98
99 But that's just my opinion ;-)
100