From: Martin Vaeth <vaeth@××××××××××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] Policy for migrating library consumers to subslots
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 15:52:59
1 Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >>
3 >> > The best solution I presently have for this problem, would be to have
4 >> > a PROVIDES-${PV}.json file in every package under files/
5 >>
6 >> Not under files but in the eclass, and the rest of the
7 >> work is done by the perl-dep function.
8 >
9 > The reason I suggested that approach, is because a list of modules and
10 > versions that are contained within a specific version of a specific
11 > package, is ostensibly a property of that version of that package.
12
13 This is only one view of things. One might also have the view that
14 it is a property of the packages depending on it whether they accept
15 that dependency. Only the latter view is supported by the current way
16 dependencies work.
17
18 > And thus, with it in ${FILESDIR}, updating $P to a new $V makes it easy to
19 > check for the existence of a respective ${FILESDIR}/PROVIDES-{$PV}.json
20
21 Of course, if portage would support also the other view, it would be
22 nice, also from the user perspective:
23
24 For instance, if you have your home-brewn version of program X,
25 you can just install the version under its own package name Y and
26 make it satisfy all dependencies of X.
27 (Currently you have to mess around with package.provided which has
28 many drawbacks like e.g. problems with USE-dependencies and,
29 moreover, you cannot publish Y in an overlay without requiring
30 that the user of that overlay modifies his package.provided manually.)
31
32 However, I am afraid that this requires a rather fundamental rewrite
33 of the current dependency logic in package managers.