From: Christophe Vanfleteren <gentoo@×××××××.be>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Is it possible ...
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 04:10:47
1 On Saturday 22 June 2002 07:55, Bill Kenworthy wrote:
2 > An interesting idea ... rather than wipe my mandrake 8.1 system, can I
3 > copy portage, and its tools over and gradually replace mandrake with
4 > gentoo. I realise anything mandrake specific will break big time, but
5 > it seems possible, in theory at least to remove mandrake packages then
6 > emerge the gentoo versions. All X stuff will probably have to go in one
7 > lump, but system stuff should be OK - its easier to fix problems one at
8 > a time with full control than start from scratch. Eventually I would be
9 > in a position where only a ghost of Mandrake would remain.
10 >
11 > Why? I want to keep using my system whilst this is going on - being out
12 > of action for a week or more whilst I first load the OS and then
13 > configure it to my customised requirements is not so attractive - then
14 > neither is the similar time frame to wipe and install mandrake 8.2, so I
15 > am looking for a shortcut!
16 >
17 > Has anyone tried something like this ... and been successful? I suspect
18 > I will have to start with things like gcc, python etc and go drom there.
19 >
20 > BillK
21 If you have enough disc space, you can install gentoo from a chroot
22 environment.
23 Instead of booting the cdrom, just chroot to an empty partition, unpack the
24 stageX, continue the install proces following the docs.
25
26 Christophe Vanfleteren