From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Versioning of eclasses and possibly functions inside ebuilds
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2011 19:02:53
1 On 12/28/2011 05:12 AM, Francesco Riosa wrote:
2 > Disclaimer: this is just one idea that come at lunch, and sharing (in
3 > a short pause before my demanding daughter request me) here to not
4 > forget in the next busy days.
5 >
6 > Seem to me that append a time slice to the function, in the name or as
7 > a parent function that call the underling function can solve most of
8 > the versioning/deprecation problems
9 >
10 > how could it work:
11 >
12 > 1) package manager record the time it start an emerge "transaction",
13 > and share it via the environment with ebuilds and eclasses. The time
14 > could be faked by an argument via command line too.
15 > 2) the bash functions which are "versioned" this way chose the right one
16 > 3) package manager save the build time in the binpkg and in /var/db
17 > for unmergin and other purposes
18
19 You're idea is irrelevant for binary packages and unmerge of installed
20 packages, since they make use of environment.bz2 which contains a
21 snapshot of the eclass functions / environment from build time.
22 --
23 Thanks,
24 Zac