From: Alin Nastac <mrness@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for November
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2006 22:10:27
1 Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò wrote:
2 >> Of course, MUAs such as Thunderbird don't give you the possibility to
3 >> set that and it will be the same as your From address.
4 >>
5 > Shouldn't be your provider's mail server to set it? Both of my SSL-enabled
6 > mail servers, that are authenticated (GMail and the Italian postal service)
7 > set this correctly, thus I don't have the SPF_NEUTRAL error on them.
10 Return-Path header field is introduced by the MTA when it receives the
11 mail from the other party. The protocol is like this:
12
13 ...
14 mail from: mrness@××××××.ro
15 250 Ok
16 rcpt to: mrness@g.o
17 250 Ok
18 data
19 354 End data with <CR><LF>.<CR><LF>
20 Subject: test
21 From: "John Doe" <joe@×××××××.org>
22 To: "Suzy" <suzy@×××.bar>
23
24 test message
25 .
26 250 Ok: queued as 9EE1A64798
27 quit
28 221 Bye
29
30 Here you have mrness@××××××.ro as Return-Path. Please note the fact that
31 submitted message does not have such field yet and even if it had, it
32 would be overridden by the MTA with what I specified in "mail from:"
33 command.
34 Because I used telnet, I was able to specify 2 different addresses for
35 the From and Return-Path addresses, but all the MUAs I worked with have
36 no such fine grained settings. For Thunderbird, when I say I want to
37 send mail as joe@×××××××.org, the same address will go also in the
38 Return-Path.