From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: justin <jlec@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] making the stable tree more up-to-date
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 11:08:39
1 On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 11:42:15AM +0100, justin wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I really like that you open all those bugs. But it makes no sense to add
5 > arches after a "time out". At least not after a such a short one. The
6 > maintainer is responsible for the package, that means it is their
7 > responsibility to decide that a package should go stable.
8
9 Might want to include data on "short time out". If said timeout also
10 occured despite a dev being away, that also would be relevant.
11
12 Personally, having been on the receiving end of it I don't mind it-
13 the timeout approach is good for getting procrastrinating
14 and/or overloaded maintaners to speak up rather than the bug rotting.
17 > In addition
18 > they have to make the package fit to the standards that the arch teams
19 > request. And I can tell from my own experience it is always more than
20 > the average package has.
21
22 Eh? Tree standards apply, if the ebuild isn't yet to that point, than
23 it should be sorted prior to unstable /anyways/. If an arch has
24 special standards, and they want the pkg stabled, it's on the *arch*
25 to do the legwork if the requirements are daft, else tell the arch to
26 be less retarded. My view at least.
27
28 I *suspect* the requirements you're complaining about here are more
29 related to source quality/running on alternate arches rather than
30 packaging itself- either way clarification is useful.
33 > So as long as you don't review the packages
34 > yourself, consider a different proceeding than this timeout.
35 >
36 > Please remove all added arches from the packages maintained by all sci*
37 > teams.
38
39 I have no issues w/ people bypassing me if I'm not doing my job in a
40 timely fashion- with the caveat that anyone doing so has to keep what
41 they kill (you break it, you fix it; if I'm overloaded someone
42 making a mess and dumping it in my lap will result in a fair bit of
43 hell directed their way).
44
45 ~harring