From: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Sets in the tree
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 20:17:02
1 On 14 August 2013 21:13, Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Wed, 14 Aug 2013 22:03:38 +0200
3 > Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o> wrote:
4 >> > Using the conventional view of what a "set" is,
5 >>
6 >> But what kind of view would that be, a mathematical set, a set from a
7 >> prior discussion or a completely different set? I assume the first
8 >> one.
9 >
10 > The rather outdated GLEP 21 says they're "a mere groups of packages,
11 > grouped together to allow easier updating and handling of them".
12 >
13 > I would use the term "spec" rather than "package" there for consistency
14 > with PMS, since "package" implies you can't specify slots or version
15 > restrictions. This is bad, because a "KDE 7" set is a useful idea. So
16 > using more modern terminology:
17 >
18 > "A set is a collection of dependency specifications, grouped together
19 > and given a name for convenience".
20 >
21 > --
22 > Ciaran McCreesh
23
24 My understanding is that the cvs tree should be PMS compatible and
25 since 'sets' are not part of PMS that means that it would be wise not
26 to use them yet.
27 It is unfortunate that nobody seems to have realized that all these
28 years that 2.2.X was masked :-/
31 Regards,
32 Markos Chandras - Gentoo Linux Developer
33 http://dev.gentoo.org/~hwoarang