From: MIkael Hallendal <hallski@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage 1.8.1 released
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 01:51:38
1 sön 2001-12-30 klockan 08.46 skrev slik@×××××××××××.net:
2 > Daniel Robbins wrote:
3 > >
4 > > Hi All,
5 > >
6 > > Portage 1.8.1 has been released, which now includes working "emerge update"
7 > > functionality. "emerge update" allows you to keep your key Gentoo Linux
8 > > system packages fully up-to-date. To use it, first type "emerge --pretend
9 > > update" to
10 >
11 > Will this download and apply patches to previous source releases, if
12 > they are available for a package? i.e. kernel,emacs,glibc,gnome,kde? are
13 > very large. (very handy for those with slow connections!)
14
15 This depends on how the person that upgraded the package did it.
16
17 With this functionality all developers should try to use patches rather
18 than the full file (if they are available). I come to think of the
19 kernel-sources which always provides patches for updating.
20
21 For really large packages it might be nice if we did diff's and uploaded
22 to ibiblio.
23
24 Regards,
25 Mikael Hallendal
29 Mikael Hallendal
30 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team Leader
31 CodeFactory AB, Stockholm, Sweden