From: "Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò" <flameeyes@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Don't filter --as-needed !
Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 14:02:47
1 Please, don't filter --as-needed i your ebuild. If your package does not build
2 with --as-needed, leave the bug open, and I'll eventually take care of it
3 (when I have time, time constrain is my only problem).
4
5 If you filter --as-needed you are masking bugs, because the package might be
6 relying on other packages that links against it to know how it was build, and
7 it's not only annoying but useless as we're using ELF (a part OSX, but they
8 are fine too).
9
10 So please don't filter --as-needed. Really. If the bug clutters your view,
11 change the query to ignore bugs of priority P5 and set it to P5.
12
13 Not only it clutters the linking in final stages, but it also makes more
14 difficult handling of revdep-rebuild with soname, as it will trigger on
15 properly built system more rebuild than needed.
16
17 If you want to fix --as-needed by yourself follow the guide[1], else just
18 leave the bug open blocking bug #129413.
19
20 [1] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/qa/asneeded.xml
21 --
22 Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò - http://farragut.flameeyes.is-a-geek.org/
23 Gentoo/Alt lead, Gentoo/FreeBSD, Video, AMD64, Sound, PAM, KDE