From: justin <jlec@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Please review fortran-2.eclass
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 09:07:52
1 Hi all,
2
3 please review and comment the attached eclass.
4
5 Purpose of this eclass is the correct setting of a working fortran
6 compiler. There are numerous bugs which suffer from one or the other
7 defect here. Anybody who touch a fortran package knows what I am talking
8 about.
9 Currently we support two fortran compilers in the tree, soonish there
10 will be three. But we also like to like to allowed any out-of-tree
11 compiler. So depending on gcc[fortran] or virtual/fortran doesn't
12 fullfill the needs for one or the other reason, which I will not
13 elaborate again.
14
15 Our solution:
16 1. Depend on virtual/fortran. This will force the ordinary user to use
17 gfortran through gcc[fortran]. Or the intel compiler has to be selected
18 via FC=ifort. With this also any other solution can be selected.
19
20 2. Test whether FC is a working fortran compiler. Why? gcc:4.5[fortran]
21 and gcc:4.6[-fortran] can be emerged and gcc-4.6 selected. Thereby
22 virtual/fortran dependdencies are fullfiled but no working compiler is
23 there. Same happens in many other constellations.
24
25 3. Test for openmp support. For a mixture of the above reasons, it is
26 impossible to depend on openmp capabilities if user do change anything
27 from default.
28
29 4. Get_fcomp is needed for some packages which do not work with the full
30 name, e.g. seperate makefiles for intel and gnu compiler.
31
32 5. Once FC is working, set all other variable possibly defining fortran
33 compilers of any flavour to FC.
34
35 6. It is still possible without any change to ebuilds to integrate the
36 test functions in the toolchain-funcs eclass later, if we decide this is
37 a better way to handle those functions.
38
39 Thanks for attention, justin

fortran-2.eclass text/plain