From: Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Stability of /sys api
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 18:29:24
1 On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 01:05:57AM -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 04:56:15AM +0300, Maxim Kammerer wrote
3 >
4 > > I don't know at what state udev was 3 or 4 years ago, but mdev can:
5 > >
6 > > 1. Populate /dev (now unnecessary due to devtmpfs).
7 > > 2. Handle ownership, permissions and symlinks to /dev nodes once they
8 > > appear, according to simple rules (can be probably done with inotify).
9 > > 3. Act as /sbin/hotplug, typically doing something equivalent to this one-liner:
10 > > [ "${ACTION}" = add -a -n "${MODALIAS}" ] && modprobe -qb "${MODALIAS}"
11 >
12 > That's *EXACTLY* what I want and need. To borrow an old emacs joke,
13 > udev is a mediocre OS that lacks a lightweight device manager.
14
15 Huh? How is udev not "lightweight"? What does it have in it that makes
16 it "heavy"? I see lots of things in mdev that make it heavier and
17 slower than udev :)
18
19 > > I don't think mdev can do anything else. Building any serious
20 > > framework on top of mdev seems pointless to me, since it will probably
21 > > end up as a small subset of udev core reimplemented with scripts.
22 >
23 > I *DON'T WANT* "a serious framework", I want a lightweight device
24 > manager... period... end of story. Stick with the unix principle of one
25 > app doing one thing well. mdev is enough for the vast majority of people.
26
27 I don't see how udev isn't a "do one thing really well" program and pass
28 off to others, piping data to programs that can do other things to it if
29 wanted/needed. Can you explain how it violates this Unix maxium?
30
31 thanks,
32
33 greg k-h