From: Jon Lech Johansen <jon@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] avifile ebuild requires divx4linux and win32codecs on x86
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 12:50:31
1 On Fri, Apr 25, 2003 at 06:57:42AM +0200, Tony Clark (tclark@×××××.com) wrote:
2 > Before making a storm in a teacup why haven't you gone to microsoft's site and
3
4 > see what you have to chick to download or licensing terms, cause if you did
5 > you would see it is nada, ingenting,nothing etc, at least from the link I
6 > first found.
7 > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=73C47878-20D0-4C1A-96F4-177D7E0074B7
8
9 I haven't disputed that some codecs are legally available with no
10 license.
11
12 Copyrighted works which do not include a license are still protected by
13 copyright law, and redistributing said works would be copyright
14 infringement.
17 Jon Lech Johansen
18 jon@××××××××××.org
19 nanocrew.net/blog/
20
21 Stat sua cuique dies, breve et inreparabile tempus
22 omnibus est vitae; sed famam extendere factis,
23 hoc virtutis opus.
26 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list