From: "Robin H.Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: Stuart Herbert <stuart@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] FW: rsync etiquette follow-up
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 22:33:46
On Mon, May 12, 2003 at 04:56:37PM +0100, Stuart Herbert wrote:
> I know that I could run an rsync mirror just for internal use - and that > would help a lot. Running a distfiles mirror is a lot less practical. It > would be much better if there was a way to share '/usr/portage' across > multiple machines. You can't do this safely via NFS. If two machines try > to download the same distfile at the same time, they interfere with each > other.
For the moment, could we have a workaround? 1. portage should keep lockfiles while it makes a call to wget/$FETCH so that duplicate instances don't blow up (you can cause this even on a single machine, no need for NFS). 2. as something extra from the above, say you are merging a bunch of packages, and one of them is being downloaded by an alternate process. Instead of failing immediately, portage should find the NEXT thing that doesn't have an dependancies in the depgraph (another pure leaf node so to speak), and run that way. If there is nothing else that can be done without waiting for the other existing process, then we can throw a temporary error.
> It'd be much better if emerge could be changed to a client/server model, > where the emerge command becomes a client that contacts the (possibly > remote) emerge server to do all the downloading and rsyncing. For people > running both client/server on the same machine, there's no noticable > difference. For people like me, trying to run a site of machines, I'm able > to reduce the amount of load I place on your rsync servers and your distfile > servers.
Long term this would be ideal, esp. if merged with functionality like redhat's RHN subscriptions (able to push updates to a group of machines automatically, and get error messages if it fails). This is one of those enterprise level things that we need. -- Robin Hugh Johnson E-Mail : robbat2@××××××××××××××.net Home Page : http://www.orbis-terrarum.net/?l=people.robbat2 ICQ# : 30269588 or 41961639 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85