From: Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@×××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GPG Signed packages
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 05:28:07
1 Lisa Seelye wrote:
2 > On Fri, 2003-11-21 at 21:09, Yi Qiang wrote:
3 >
4 >>I think this has been brought up many times before, but as most of us
5 >>know, many of the debian servers have been compromised recently. This
6 >>has reinstated fear into many people about how "trustful" our distfile
7 >>repositories really are. If indeed one is compromised it would be too
8 >>easy for someone to slip a backdoor into a package, especially since I
9 >>and a lot of other gentoo users simply ignore md5 checksums. If a
10 >>digest fails we simply ebuild foo.ebuild digest it again. I think an
11 >>option should be made that would allow failing packages if gpg fails. (I
12 >>think Redhat does something like this) This of course is not a fool
13 >>proof way, but a big improvement over what is currently done to ensure
14 >>package integrity.
17 > If the key server/signature is compromised you have gained nothing over
18 > the way we have it now. Adding it is just another way for something to
19 > go wrong.
20 >
21 > As for users doing ebuild foo.ebuild digest blindly - that's a good way
22 > to put your box at serious risk.
23
24 I agree that the current system is good the way it is. If someone is dumb enough to ignore
25 a failing MD5 on anything other than MPlayer fonts, and I'm sure most of us have done
26 'ebuild digest mplayer-x.xx.ebuild' at one point or another (I have), another check isn't
27 going to keep them from opening up their box, anyway.
30 Andrew Gaffney
34 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list