From: Klavs Klavsen <kl@××××.dk>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP: Making updates never break dependencies
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 09:21:58
1 On fre, 2003-11-07 at 09:59, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2 [SNIP]
3 > >
4 > > libmysql links against libssl-0.9.6, and say you only have
5 > > openssl-0.9.6 installed at the time.
6 > > now you upgrade a slotted openssl, and have both libssl-0.9.6 and
7 > > libssl-0.9.7.
8 > > now you compile some other program that wants to pull in BOTH libssl
9 > > and libmysql. it picks up libssl-0.9.7 as that is the latest, but
10 > > libmysql is still linked against libssl-0.9.6. at this point your
11 > > program probably won't compile properly (gcc will detect the problem
12 > > in most cases), but if it doesn't your program will just segfault when
13 > > you try to run it.
14 >
15 > btw. This is exactly the problem with berkeley db, and it is quite common
16 > for berkeley db.
17 >
18 And for a lot of other programs unfortunately. This is the thing that
19 for me is the biggest show-stopper, for server systems - as it requires
20 a lot of wellplaced thought and work, before you upgrade f.ex. OpenSSL
21 (which has been requireing upgrades quite often recently :( )
22
23 I hope you can find time to look at my rewritten GLEP and see how you
24 like it. I've detailed how I think it should be implemented, and it is
25 in now way a performance killer, but AFAIK it should catch every
26 occurence of this problem.
27 --
28 Regards,
29 Klavs Klavsen, GSEC - kl@××××.dk - http://www.vsen.dk
30 PGP: 7E063C62/2873 188C 968E 600D D8F8 B8DA 3D3A 0B79 7E06 3C62
31 See my new managed CMS Hosting Service at http://www.VirkPaaNettet.dk
32
33 Working with Unix is like wrestling a worthy opponent.
34 Working with windows is like attacking a small whining child
35 who is carrying a .38.