From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] usr merge
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2016 19:03:44
1 On Sat, Apr 9, 2016 at 11:09 AM, <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On Sat, Apr 09, 2016 at 07:11:31AM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote
3 >
4 >> It was simply a recognition that we were already in a state where
5 >> booting a system without /usr mounted early can cause problems.
6 >
7 > For certain edge cases... yes.
8
9 Edge cases? According to whom?
10
11 > But they were already using initramfs
12 > or merging /usr into /. I'm talking about the 95% who don't really need
13 > it.
14
15 Do you have *ANY* source for that 95%?
18 >> I never really got the mentality that using an initramfs is a burden.
19 >
20 > One more piece of software that can go wrong. You have to
21 > maintain+configure it; e.g. sync software and library versions with
22 > what's on the rest of the system.
23
24 Everything can go wrong; an initramfs is actually a really easy piece
25 of software to automatize and debug if it goes wrong.
26
27 >> An initramfs is just a secondary bootloader for userspace. I almost
28 >> always use them even if I'm just booting a VM with a single partition
29 >> on it. If something goes wrong you can fall back to a shell in the
30 >> initramfs and it is like having a rescue disk built into your system
31 >> disk.
32 >
33 > There is single-user mode for rescue.
34
35 Which could fail if, for some reason, you need *something* from /usr
36 and it hasn't been mounted. And *something* is becoming *anything*,
37 whether you like it or not.
38
39 >> For a more complex setup it is much more robust than relying on
40 >> the kernel to find your root, and it also lets you build with a more
41 >> module-based kernel, which has some benefits as well even if you build
42 >> kernels tailored to each host.
43 >
44 > I have "Production" and "Experimental" entries in my LILO menu. A new
45 > kernel is always set up as the "Experimental" entry. After running
46 > several days without problems, I run a script which copies the data from
47 > the "Experimental" portion to "Production".
48
49 You use LILO. That means, you don't use UEFI. That means, almost
50 certainly you don't use recent hardware.
51
52 Walter, *YOU* are the 5% edge case. Many people are running UEFI only
53 hardware, and the number will only increase, since BIOS *is* dead.
54
55 > The only time my system had problems "finding root" was years ago when
56 > the switch from /dev/hd* to /dev/sd* took place. The "Experimental"
57 > boot with the new kernel died. I booted "Production", read the mailing
58 > list, changed "hd" to "sd" for the "Experimental" entry, and rebooted.
59 > After several days without problems, I made the same change to the
60 > "Production" entry, and copied the "Experimental" portion to
61 > "Production".
62
63 That was the only time *FOR YOU*. But, as I stated above, you are the
64 5% edge case; the Gentoo devs need to think about the general case,
65 starting with their own systems so they can do their jobs. I bet most
66 of them are on UEFI.
67
68 Nobody anywhere is telling you what to do with your systems (nor would
69 they in the future). The Gentoo devs only are saying that if by having
70 separated /usr without an initramfs, you risk screwing your system,
71 and if that happens, you are on you own.
72
73 Regards.
74 --
75 Dr. Canek Peláez Valdés