From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFD: EAPI specification in ebuilds
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2012 17:50:11
On 03/08/2012 12:28 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
> > And something will need to provide that /usr/bin/eapi4 thing. And that > introduces new problems:
I'm just parroting someone else's suggestion; I don't really know enough about the details to answer these properly. Not that that will stop me.
> 1) how are we going to support multiple package managers? will we need > to install eapi4 thing as a smart wrapper choosing the right PM? > > 2) what about Prefix? #!/usr/bin/env eapi4 then, or proactive updating > of shebangs in synced ebuilds? and then regenerating the whole cache > (guess how long does it take to update it),
Wouldn't #!/use/bin/env eapi4 handle both (1) and (2)? You might have to eselect package-manager or something first if you want to use two PMs at once.
> 3) what should happen if user executes ebuild? the ebuild should merge > itself? with dependencies or without?
If a user marks the ebuild executable and does ./foo-x.y.ebuild, the eapi4 wrapper can decide what to do. Nothing at all, print larry the cow, or crash (what we do now) are all fine with me =)