From: Stuart Longland <redhatter@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] LibreOffice project: request for contributors and mentoring
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 01:13:44
1 On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 05:40:03PM +0800, David Nelson wrote:
2 > A number of Linux distributions have announced their intention to ship
3 > LibreOffice with their future releases. We know that they frequently
4 > do re-branding work to integrate their chosen office suite in lines
5 > with their project's thinking.
6 >
7 > So we are keen to involve you in our project branding and development,
8 > so that we ship releases that better fit your needs.
9
10 Do we even brand OpenOffice? I can't spot the difference between the
11 self-built OpenOffice.org binary I have, and the official Sun binary I
12 had previously.
13
14 My concern with LibreOffice would be more to do with compiling it...
15 it'd be a nice package to have on the Yeeloong, but AFAIK it needs
16 Java..? Something I've been trying to bootstrap unsuccessfully for the
17 best part of two years now. (gcj-jdk is a long way from usable, and
18 there's a chicken-egg issue with icedtea6.) It also needs _lots_ of RAM
19 and disk space ... not a plentiful resource on MIPS.
20 --
21 Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL) .'''.
22 Gentoo Linux/MIPS Cobalt and Docs Developer '.'` :
24 http://dev.gentoo.org/~redhatter :.'
25
26 I haven't lost my mind...
27 ...it's backed up on a tape somewhere.