From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Bug voting
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 19:32:02
1 Jason Rhinelander posted <41069808.7040405@××××××××××××××××.com>,
2 excerpted below, on Tue, 27 Jul 2004 10:59:36 -0700:
3
4 > [V]otes would serve as a way for people to say "me too" without
5 > actually cluttering up the bug report by typing "me too" into the
6 > comment box.
7
8 IMO this is perhaps the important point. The guidelines specifically say
9 /not/ to "me too" a bug, but sometimes it's tempting. If there was a way
10 to vote for it instead, that would solve that problem.
11
12 In addition, I'm not sure if the vote is rigged this way by default, but
13 one could set it up such that it would notify on the first and second
14 vote, then not again until the fifth, then the tenth, etc. In addition,
15 the vote reports, being automated and entirely predictable content, could
16 easily be filtered by devs not wishing to get them at all. That of course
17 assumes that votes would be set to globally notify at all.
18
19 Gentoo's going to be rather different, but I came from Mandrake, where
20 each regular cooker tester/user got ten votes to spend as they wished each
21 month on bugzilla. That kept the fakes down quite a bit, because one had
22 to actually participate in the process in ordered to get the ten vote
23 privilege. One could still in theory participate under a bunch of names,
24 but that takes time. A user could spend all ten votes on one thing if
25 they wanted, or spread them out to ten things. I don't know if lower
26 level participants got say two votes, or if actual rpm contributors got
27 say 20, or not, but it could have been done.
28
29 Now some thinking in print.. As I said, Gentoo's different. Perhaps
30 restrict general users to two votes a month. Preventing ballot stuffing
31 might be problematic, as there's no way to limit registered nyms.
32 However, regular reliable reporters and those contributing fixes might get
33 10 or 20 votes to use each month, an interesting recognition mechanism
34 short of dev-hood or the like. If stuffing appears to be getting out of
35 hand, but not /entirely/ so, maybe up that to 50 or a hundred votes for
36 the reliable reporters and patch contributors, and while there'd be some
37 obvious vote inflation, equally obviously, they could effectively shout
38 down all but extreme stuffing. One might also consider giving the legit
39 "super-voters" negative votes, costing the same vote points, but
40 subtracting votes, where abuse might be suspected. A super-voter wouldn't
41 have to answer /why/ they voted something up or down, but abuse could be
42 curbed by revoking super-voter status, yanking vote points.
46 "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
47 temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." --
48 Benjamin Franklin
53 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list