From: Dhruba Bandopadhyay <dhruba@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] USE Linux 2.6.x
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 12:48:30
1 Hello
2
3 The 2.6.x kernel is picking up a considerable following and since I began
4 using about eight test versions back I've noticed several packages needing
5 different configurations depending on whether you are using 2.4 or 2.6.x.
6
7 How must a package determine what kernel is system is using?
8
9 (1) /usr/src/linux symlink
10 (2) /usr/src/linux-beta symlink
11 (3) uname -r
12 (4) USE="dev-kernel" (see below) ?
13
14 Would a USE flag to signal use of 2.6.x be an idea at all? Given that
15 2.6.x is nearing completion this use flag may become redundant. Or it may
16 continue to be used for the next dev-branches of both 2.4- and 2.6-.
17
18 Of the first three points above, I don't see any of them being
19 particularly reliable. So I had to wonder about putting the control in
20 the user's hands. Just a thought.
21
22 With regards
25 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list