From: Karl Trygve Kalleberg <karltk@×××××××.no>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] A GUI to help with ebuilds ?
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 11:39:39
1 Hi.
2
3 I'm a toolite. I like tools.
4
5 We have a tool called ebuilder (dev-util/ebuilder), written and maintained
6 by Zach Forrest <zach@××××××××××××××.ca>. You should have a look at it and
7 talk to Zach about the possibility of adding a GUI on top of its design
8 (it's written in Bash, so just using the code won't be too easy).
9
10 I like ebuilder. It makes some things very easy. The very nice thing about
11 it, imho, is that I can use to add ebuilds quick on my server, because
12 it's running text-mode (and hence nicely over ssh).
13
14 However, if I as a developer were to come with one wish at this point, I'd
15 like to have two-part tool which:
16
17 1) Automatically packaged entries from
18 themes.freshmeat.org,
19 themes.kde.org,
20 galeon.sf.net/themes
21 other, application-specific sites for skins as ebuilds
22 2) A graphical theme-browser, which showed available themes in Portage,
23 displaying a thumbsized screenshot (and optionally a 800x600
24 screenshot) of each theme, and allowed the user to install them
25 (by firing off Portage in the background).
26
27 In short, I'd like some auxiliary (development and user) tools to extend
28 Portage to handle themes. Afaik, _no_ other distro has anything like this.
29 Even in KDE3 and GNOME2, you are expected to download the tarball, extract
30 it into ~/.foo/themes, tweak your ~/.foorc and do all other kinds of
31 nastyness to get it work.
32
33 Portage has the power to help out with a lot of this, but if we are to
34 keep up with the pace of new themes, we will most likely want to have
35 tools to do the packaging.
38 At any rate, don't let my off-track comments about my personal desires
39 derail you from making a slick developer tool for making ebuilds. It's
40 just that I know from experience that most ebuilds are hand-written for
41 the reason that most build systems have one (or usually, A LOT) of quirks.
42
43 And then we use syntax-highlighting, hippie-expand and all that ;P
46 Kind regards,
47
48 Karl T