From: Abhishek Amit <abhishekamit2000@×××××.com>
To: Seemant Kulleen <seemant@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] USE flags and your annoyances
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 02:49:35
1 On 14:36 Thu 10 Apr , Seemant Kulleen wrote:
2 > Hi All,
3 >
4 > I was just reading through a thread on USE flags spawned by the "dvd" flag used in mplayer. First off, it doesn't seem like the documentation has been read. That said, let me summarise:
5 >
6 > emerge -qvp mplayer will show you all the USE flags which apply to it. Those that have a "+" sign in front are flags you enabled, or have been enabled in the default profile. The "-" sign should be obvious, given the above info.
7 >
8 > The fact that you go through the ./configure options yourself is a good thing, as maybe you'll catch stuff the developers didn't and will report additional or obsolete options. However, to completely disregard USE, which imho, is a mechanism that makes Gentoo so great, defeats the purpose of having a meta-distribution which allows fine grained tweaking.
9 >
10 > As for which packages make use of which USE flags and for what purposes: I am redoing the USE howto, and hope to have that sort of thing extensively documented. If anyone has productive ideas about how to improve it, please let us know. No offense, but bitching about things and making empty complaints is just trollbait.
14 > --
15 > Seemant Kulleen
16 > Developer and Project Co-ordinator,
17 > Gentoo Linux http://www.gentoo.org/~seemant
18 >
19 > Public Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x3458780E
20 > Key fingerprint = 23A9 7CB5 9BBB 4F8D 549B 6593 EDA2 65D8 3458 780E
21 One question I have about USE flags is what the policy is on binary
22 software with some optional functionality achived through additional
23 binaries. Should a USE flag be used to toggle the installaiton of these
24 binaries or should they just be installed? I know, this is not the user
25 side of the issue but thought this was an appropriate place to ask.
29 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list