From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] OT Who runs Gentoo was -> RFC: Userkit.eclass
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2016 23:30:46
1 OT SNR Sorry but not sorry :)
2
3 On Saturday, December 3, 2016 11:01:56 PM EST Robin H. Johnson wrote:
4 > On Sat, Dec 03, 2016 at 04:49:19PM -0500, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
5 > > No matter what terms you use, Google uses Gentoo to build products it
6 > > makes
7 > > money off. In that sense I think it could give back allot. If not in
8 > > donations, resources (tinderbox), etc.
9 >
10 > Here's the financial parts of what Google has given us, that I can
11 > quantify. It DOESN'T include anything of the 20% time that might have
12 > been used in Gentoo's favour [some past Google-employed developers have
13 > specifically said they were spending Friday afternoons doing Gentoo
14 > dev], or paid Gentoo stuff that overlapped their actual job needs
15 > (ChromeOS-related).
16
17 Not sure how to measure time spent on job hours in contribution dollars.
18
19 > ----------------
20 > Net Total: $50,924.19
21 > ----------------
22
23 So from 09-16 avg of ~$4.6k per year over 11 years. With that really being
24 earned by people doing GSoC. Not the same as if Google donated a lump sum of
25 money to further development per say the Councils plans. Only 1 hardware
26 donation.
27
28 I believe past sponsors such as GNi incurred costs in the ~$5k range monthly.
29 I would assume some hosting sponsors to be averaging a few thousand at minimum
30 per year.
31
32 Just as an example. FreeBSD is seeking $1.25 Million in a fundraiser with
33 $882k thus far.
34 https://www.freebsdfoundation.org/
35
36 They seem to average in the hundreds of thousands every year in contributions
37 https://www.freebsdfoundation.org/about/financials/
38
39 Always looked at FreeBSD when I was a Gentoo Trustee. Great foundation! Passed
40 the 5 year probation period with IRS, and other stuff.
43 William L. Thomson Jr.