From: Seth Mos <knuffie@××××××.nl>
To: Matthew Bandy <mbandy@×××××××××××××××.com>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] undocumented installation gotcha
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 03:12:47
1 At 00:21 21-6-2002 -0700, Matthew Bandy wrote:
2 >I may have missed a kernel option somewhere, but it seems to me that
3 >the gentoo-sources kernel supports hard drives larger than 137GB,
4 >while the xfs-sources kernel does not. This bit me trying to install
5 >using XFS on a 160GB drive, because the install saw the disk as the
6 >full 160GB, while my newly built xfs-sources kernel saw only the first
7 >137GB, and I ended up with a non-bootable system because it couldn't
8 >find init. It might help someone else in the same situation out to
9 >add a warning covering this problem to the installation
10 >documentation -- I didn't realize what was causing the problem until I
11 >had already reinstalled using ext3 and gentoo-sources and then tried
12 >to switch to 2.4.18.
13
14 The XFS CVS tree does not include any IDE patches for the 48bit LBA code.
15 AFAIK 2.4.19 mainline will have the IDE patches included which means that
16 it will probably work from then on.
17
18 When 2.4.19 is released the CVS tree will be updated as well. It might be a
19 good idea to put the IDE patch in the xfs-sources as well.
20
21 Cheers
24 Seth
25 It might just be your lucky day, if you only knew.