From: Eric Noack <eric.noack@×××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] which contribution prefered - to gentoo or to project itself?
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 19:45:22
1 Hmm
2
3 I agree that extra useflags arent such a good idea ;)
4
5 Since the "Configure" of pcmcia-cs is not autogenerated but handmade, and
6 the kernel configuration is allready read there, the hisax support of the interesting cards should
7 be easy to check, so the ebuild will only do an extra patch.
8 So my original question has been answered by the code already :)
11 However its the question if it would be better to provide a patch "with" the sources of
12 these *_cs.c pcmcia client drivers, that could break with the hisax part of the driver,
13 or copy the kernel _cs.c files of this clients, which could possibly break with the pcmcia part.
14
15 I personally would prefer trying to copy & compile the sources from the kernel dir, to fit against
16 latest patches to the isdn and HiSax subsystem.
17
18 I dont think the pcmcia system in the 2.4 kernel would be changed to a level where
19 a _cs.c file from the kernel wouldnt compile with the pcmcia_cs pcmcia sub-system anymore,
20 since that would affect the cardmgr and such, which comes always with pcmcia-cs
21 and would have to comply with kernel-pcmcia in that case, too.
22 It is theoretically possible, but a change to the isdn system or comunication between the
23 hisax part and the _cs part of the same card driver is more likely, and would break _cs parts
24 supplied by a patch to pcmcia_cs directly.
25
26 The alternative would be to provide almost the whole isdn or at least hisax support with
27 pcmcia-cs like its done with WLAN card support.
28 but since only 3 of the about 2 dozen ISDN cards supported by HiSax are PCMCIAs,
29 this wouldnt be such a good idea i think.
30
31 Eric
34 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list