From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: UEFI secure boot and Gentoo
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 04:52:04
1 Greg KH posted on Thu, 14 Jun 2012 21:28:10 -0700 as excerpted:
2
3 > So, anyone been thinking about this? I have, and it's not pretty.
4 >
5 > Should I worry about this and how it affects Gentoo, or not worry about
6 > Gentoo right now and just focus on the other issues?
7 >
8 > Minor details like, "do we have a 'company' that can pay Microsoft to
9 > sign our bootloader?" is one aspect from the non-technical side that
10 > I've been wondering about.
11
12 I've been following developments and wondering a bit about this myself.
13
14 I had concluded that at least for x86/amd64, where MS is mandating a user
15 controlled disable-signed-checking option, gentoo shouldn't have a
16 problem. Other than updating the handbook to accommodate UEFI,
17 presumably along with the grub2 stabilization, I believe we're fine as if
18 a user can't figure out how to disable that option on their (x86/amd64)
19 platform, they're hardly likely to be a good match for gentoo in any case.
20
21 ARM and etc could be more problematic since MS is mandating no-unlock
22 there, last I read. I have no clue how they can get away with that anti-
23 trust-wise, but anyway... But I honestly don't know enough about other
24 than x86/amd64 platforms to worry about it, personally.
29 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman