From: Thomas de Grenier de Latour <degrenier@×××××××××××.fr>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [GLEP] Use EAPI-suffixed ebuilds (.ebuild-EAPI)
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 13:12:28
1 On 2007/12/20, Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@×××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2
3 > Uh, it works in both those cases. The package manager will simply not
4 > see the ebuild at all.
5 >
6 > Which is pretty much the point...
7
8 Yes, because a change in the way EAPI is read implies a change in the
9 files naming rule, so that the PM recognize the file only if it can
10 do something useful with it. That's true for both proposals, which
11 was pretty much my point. And that thus, it was not an argument in
12 favor of one against the other.
13
14 I still think that changing file names when absolutly required
15 (switching from "EAPI=foo" to "eapi foo", or moving it elsewhere, or
16 switching to xml, etc.) is less disturbing than changing it for every
17 single new EAPI. It's not because one new extension may not be
18 eternally enough that we should introduce an infinity right now.
19
20 But yeah, to be honest, you're right that my original "as long as
21 ebuilds stay bash" was a bit optimistic: it was assuming there would
22 be no decision of changing that rule as long as there would be no good
23 reason for it (like a switch to xml or whatever other not-bash format).
26 TGL.
27 --
28 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list