From: "Paweł Hajdan
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: udev and /usr
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2011 23:17:27
1 On 9/25/11 5:53 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > Repeat this 100 times and you end up with a chromium tarball
3 > that consists of 90% redistributed 3rd-party libraries with subtle
4 > tweaks. However, can you really argue with Google's success with this
5 > approach.
6
7 At least in Gentoo we remove _most_ of the bundled libraries. Currently
8 the biggest culprits are probably ffmpeg (Chromium upstream breaks it so
9 often that I gave up trying to use the system version) and mesa (yeah,
10 Chromium bundles it and it seems it's patched).
11
12 I'm slowly convincing the upstream to have a more distro-friendly
13 bundling strategy (i.e. staying close to upstream and making it possible
14 to use system versions). This takes time, and I often need to do the
15 unbundling work myself.