From: "PaweĊ‚ Hajdan
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: udev and /usr
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2011 23:17:27
On 9/25/11 5:53 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
> Repeat this 100 times and you end up with a chromium tarball > that consists of 90% redistributed 3rd-party libraries with subtle > tweaks. However, can you really argue with Google's success with this > approach.
At least in Gentoo we remove _most_ of the bundled libraries. Currently the biggest culprits are probably ffmpeg (Chromium upstream breaks it so often that I gave up trying to use the system version) and mesa (yeah, Chromium bundles it and it seems it's patched). I'm slowly convincing the upstream to have a more distro-friendly bundling strategy (i.e. staying close to upstream and making it possible to use system versions). This takes time, and I often need to do the unbundling work myself.