From: drobbins@g.o
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Hurd
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 10:55:48
1 On Thu, Jan 25, 2001 at 11:48:27AM -0600, Gabriel wrote:
2 > > A question -- could you give us a quick overview of the differences between HURD and
3 > > the Linux kernel? I'm curious about what new things HURD offers.
4 >
5 > This deserves a longer answer and I will post one when I have a bigger block
6 > of time, but a few observations:
7
8 [snip-o-rama]
9
10 > BTW, I am not a Hurd developer; just a guy that installed it for kicks, so if
11 > my information is not factual, please keep me honest. I am enthusiastic about
12 > this because the most recent debian builds are better than I think a lot of
13 > people realize, and there is a lot of opportunity to shape the way it evolves,
14 > and the Portage system sounds like the right way, the GNU way, to do it.
15
16 OK, nifty. Would you be interested in looking into this? The first step would
17 be to port Portage to HURD. You'd need to port python if it isn't yet available
18 on HURD, but that's about it. The next step would be to create a bunch of ebuilds,
19 and the third step would be to rebuild a complete system using portage.
20
21 Best Regards,
24 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
25 President/CEO http://www.gentoo.org