From: Dave Nellans <dnellans@×××××××.edu>
To: Jon Portnoy <avenj@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ebuild naming policy
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 23:30:42
1 Is that true?
2
3 my very scientific test of doing emerge -p ocaml on several machines
4 returns that dev-lang/ocaml would be installed on every one. this would
5 seem there is at least "some" mechanism defining which one is returned,
6 even if its as silly as being alphebetical by by category name or ??
7
8 thanks for the link to the ebuild naming policy chris. it doesn't
9 address this issue though of multiple ebuilds having the same name if
10 they are in different categories. anyone have thoughts on how this
11 should be done from a technical or user standpoint? i think from a user
12 standpoint it makes more sense to allow multiple ebuilds with the same
13 name because then a user searching for them will have both returned
14 (even if they have to user the category/ebuild to get that particular
15 one to install)
16
17 dave
18