From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Better way to direct upstream bugs upstream?
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2015 12:38:18
1 On 31 August 2015 at 00:15, Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se> wrote:
2 > In theory it can, but my experience is that in practice it doesn't
3 > change very often.
6 >> sometimes the metadata visible on the CPAN sources is also wrong,
7 >> and requires an experienced developer to chase its tail to work out
8 >> where it currently is.
9 >
10 > Sounds like a task that the ebuild maintainer can solve?
13 It can be done, just there are annoying edge cases where it doesn't
14 work and any metadata will be wrong.
15
16 - There are upstreams where there is no real contact address
17 - There are upstreams where using automatically discernable defaults
18 will get you a default that will get anyone who uses that contact
19 address "Yelled at".
20 - There are upstreams where the documented bug tracker in the
21 discoverable metadata is wrong, and will require a new release to fix.
22 - There are upstreams whos bug tracker I would *never* refer a user
23 to, for instance, bug trackers on sourceforge are enough to make me go
24 "Is there somewhere else I can throw my reports?" ( My ad blockers now
25 block that whole domain due to its track record of being a safe haven
26 to malware and deceptive advertising )
27
28 And the problem with the "Not a reliable data" is that you can't
29 discover it until its a problem.
30
31 Which means it won't be known its a problem until a user attempts to use it.
32
33 Which means we're telling users to resolve a bug in resolving bug
34 trackers before they can resolve a bug.
35
36 My favourite class of these at present are the ones who were foolish
37 enough to use Google Code for bug tracking, as the metadata for many
38 projects *still* says its viable, and you follow the link and get a
39 403, and some of these don't *actually* have a decided upon
40 alternative yet. I've just been tracking down the authors and doing it
41 manually, or digging into the data to find their source control is
42 mirrored on github and there's a defacto collection of people who have
43 started filing bugs there instead, but its not authoritative yet.
44
45 Yes, cases like these are exceptions, but they're exceptions that
46 cause serious user confusion every time they happen.
47
48 For a namespace like dev-perl/ and perl-core/, we could automate
49 provisioning "an upstream" bug tracker for 90% of cases. But the
50 remaining 10% that was provisioned from metadata would be wrong, and a
51 sentience of some kind would be required to work out which 5% was
52 wrong, and *not* to rely on the automated provisioning.
53
54 And there are some authors on CPAN who I would institute a custom
55 black hole stipulating that they should *only* contact gentoo about
56 bugs and *never* upstream, because upstream have a marked track record
57 of setting people who report their bugs on fire *due* to them being
58 gentoo users.
59
60 Its cool that there are lots of upstream who are capable and willing
61 to deal with gentoo users directly. But the odds of a gentoo user
62 assuming any upstream able /willing to be responsive and them getting
63 unhelpful responses and the Gentoo user not realising they needed
64 flame retardant clothing, makes me want to suggest a system wherein
65 direct upstream contact by Gentoo users should be something decided
66 upon based on the gentoo users technical competence.
67
68 If for example, a Gentoo user is able to function at the level
69 expected of a Gentoo developer, and are able to dig into the problem
70 sufficient to isolate and comprehend the problem in a systems agnostic
71 way, or at least express how and why Gentoo changes the behaviour of a
72 system, then by all means, going straight to upstream should be fine,
73 and they can ask for a revision bump once the problem is fixed, and if
74 they're feeling generous, put a copy of their issue on bgo with
75 possible solutions, because that is where gentoo users look first.
76
77 But we shouldn't expect this level of performance from all users, and
78 we should be capable and willing to try helping the less capable with
79 reporting their issues to upstream.
80
81 Some of this is just basic due dilligence, making sure the user has
82 even reported the right information.
83
84 If a user isn't able to provide information to gentoo sufficient that
85 gentoo can even identify that a bug is in fact happening, they're just
86 going to be irritating upstream, because upstream won't be able to
87 easily plumb the gentoo specifics to make sure they haven't just done
88 something dumb that gentoo has already put guards against that the
89 user has unwittingly disabled.
92 Kent
93
94 KENTNL - https://metacpan.org/author/KENTNL