From: "Harald van Dijk" <truedfx@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] ACCEPT_RESTRICT for questionable values of RESTRICT
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 13:16:35
1 On Fri, Jan 12, 2007 at 12:46:58PM +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 13:30:11 +0100 Harald van Dijk <truedfx@g.o>
3 > wrote:
4 > | > FEATURES has legitimate values. The feature as a whole is useful,
5 > | > even if some of the options have very restricted target audiences.
6 > |
7 > | So if ACCEPT_* were implemented in a way that lets you write
8 > | ACCEPT="keyword:~x86 -license:QPL-1.0 restrict:sandbox"
9 > | you'd have no problem? After all, ACCEPT as a whole is useful, right?
10 >
11 > If ACCEPT were implemented that way, and there were no additional code
12 > involved in making restrict work in it, then it would be reduced from
13 > "silly misfeature" to "something that works by fluke but that you
14 > shouldn't do".
15
16 FEATURES="noauto noclean" do not work by fluke. I'll ask you a second
17 time to try to reconsider the point I was making.
18
19 > | > | As for the legitimate use, I won't try to convince you that there
20 > | > | are legitimate uses, but rather, even if it is silly, what does
21 > | > | it matter to you?
22 > | >
23 > | > It matters in that there's even more time being spent going off on
24 > | > completely the wrong track that would be of more use elsewhere.
25 > |
26 > | ACCEPT_RESTRICT is trivial to implement and to maintain, even moreso
27 > | if you combine the code for it with that for ACCEPT_LICENSE. More
28 > | time has been spent on this thread than would have to be on the
29 > | code...
30 >
31 > And what about the time spent arguing with users who start demanding
32 > that your package stop depping upon some random other package that
33 > happens to need userpriv turned off?
34
35 I'd like to give users a little bit more credit than to ask for
36 dependencies on required packages to be dropped. (And as for
37 dependencies on non-required packages, generally speaking, they should
38 already be optional dependencies, or not dependencies at all.)
39
40 > And what about the time spent
41 > explaining to everyone why fetch can't be used in ACCEPT_RESTRICT to
42 > get the results they expect
43
44 Presumably, the default for ACCEPT_RESTRICT would include all possible
45 values, so the case to consider is ACCEPT_RESTRICT=-fetch, which I can
46 only imagine to work in one way.
47
48 > and why userpriv and sandbox are not
49 > dangerous?
50 >
51 > Just because a feature *can* be added doesn't mean it *should*, no
52 > matter how trivial it is.
53
54 Correct, that reason by itself is not enough. My reply specifically
55 addressed your comment, it was not a complete argument /for/
56 ACCEPT_RESTRICT.
57 --
58 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list