From: Ed W <lists@××××××××××.com>
To: Matthew Marlowe <matt@×××××××××××.net>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] avoiding urgent stabilizations
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 12:04:21
1 Hi
2
3 > I'm starting to put together a portage/stable server configuration for a large
4 > number of gentoo VM's that will eventually be hosted on a VMware ESX 4.1U1
5 > cluster - with the goal of limiting major changes to once/year and otherwise
6 > only applying security/minimum necessary updates. I doubt it will be easy but
7 > I'm doing my best at it :)
8
9 This sounds very interesting. I haven't yet plugged through your blog,
10 but just to chime in:
11
12 I maintain a, likely much smaller, number of VMs using linux vservers.
13 The approach here is to almost cut each machine down to a chroot that
14 runs only one (or thereabouts) interesting service. To do this I have
15 found customised portage profiles to be the under-plugged secret since
16 they allow you to basically push a set of packages which should be
17 installed and control "per type of vm" use flags and package keywords
18 (eg I have www-nginx, www-apache, mail, proxy, mysql, ftp, etc
19 profiles). Additionally I have a small overlay of local ebuilds that
20 sit in the same tree
21
22 Up until now I haven't really made any effort to sync this whole tree
23 across multiple physical machines and it's a bit of an ad-hoc process.
24 Using something like git would probably be perfect
25
26 The still missing step is configuration management across the machine
27 types, eg I want to upgrade all my "Apache-WWW" class machines and merge
28 in all changes in /etc in a certain way... At the moment I just run
29 dispatch-conf across all machines, but it can be quite boring merging 20
30 instances of sshd.conf... Seems like Puppet/Chef could be a solution
31 here, but the step up and investment to make it work seems pretty large?
35 It does appear like managing large numbers of virtual machines is one
36 are that gentoo could score very well? Interested to see any chatter on
37 how others solve this problem, or any general advocacy? Probably we
38 should start a new thread though...
39
40 Regards
41