From: David Nielsen <Lovechild@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Ebuild Janitor Project -- Any formalities to joining it?
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 21:40:08
1 This is just getting out of hand...
2
3 I announce a project and suddenly I'm the antichrist.
4
5 I did not treated to fork portage anywhere - I can't even code python
6 for crying out loud.
7
8 Okay, the main issue seems to be getting along with developers.
9
10 Here's a little background, I have Tourette' syndrome and I'm on
11 antidepressants following an attempt at taking my life, bare with me I
12 have a short fuse - I take shit all day.
13
14 Here's what makes me happy, getting good ideas, and this project seemed
15 like a good idea - So I took a chance, I never expected the project to
16 take off the way it did, I figured I would fix up a few critical ebuilds
17 a week and submit them to Bugzilla. It seems we need a quicker solution
18 without compromising the stability of portage as a whole - we don't want
19 broken shit in there do we?
20
21 We also need an agreement on Janitorial suggestions on portage and USE
22 flag improvements - If we are to review all ebuilds we probably need to
23 have an easy way to debating new USE flags other than bugzilla.
24
25 Here's the plan as laid out in advance:
26
27 We plan to release a tarball once a week with new ebuilds, now we are
28 not asking for them to just go directly into portage, so there needs to
29 be some developer review time going on also if possible - we also wanna
30 make sure we waste as little time as possible right?
31
32 The plan has also always been to keep the project extremely open, that's
33 why we have the forum, it's an exellent way of keeping track of what
34 people are doing and what concerns we might have. We could simply cry
35 "help" when we need some assistance which might work fine. There
36 shouldn't be a exceedingly great need for developers input when talking
37 just ebuilds, we are talking a new USE flag every now and again maybe.
38
39 As for future ideas for portage development, I would suggest checking
40 the forum every now and again, there are some extremely wacky people
41 throwing around ideas in there, once an idea is developed we will submit
42 it to gentoo-dev for debating.
43
44 deal ?
45
46 Lovechild
47
48 Oh the janitor forums are down for the time being, I'm unaware of the
49 reason - Slougi is in charge of that.
50