From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Cc: gentoo-core@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] db4
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 21:31:57
1 After the 1.4 release, I think it would be a good idea to make another
2 pass at making db4 the default in gentoo. We're starting to get
3 packages such as the latest openldap that require db4. The current
4 problem is that not all packages will build w/ db4 right now, but
5 emerging db4 will stomp some files from db1 and db3 (and vice versa),
6 from what I've seen. We could employ slots and a set of /usr/lib/dbx
7 directories, but that's fairly intrusive. Most packages do now build w/
8 db4 quite well, as it emulates db1 and db3 fairly nicely, or they can be
9 patched to do so, and I think that's the better long-term solution.
10 Unfortunately, some packages still refuse to behave. One example is
11 courier-imap, which currently requires either db3 or gdbm. Debian's
12 solution for their db4-based unstable tree has been to just compile
13 courier-imap w/ gdbm. Presumably, if we want to give users a choice
14 about the backend we could build db4 support in statically, but I don't
15 have a feeling for how much of a pain that would be.
16
17 Thoughts?
18 -g2boojum-
19 --